Subject: Re: PowerPCs and Lightwave?
From: [email-masked] (Mark Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 95 02:12:06 EST

Joe Angell <[email-masked]> writes:
> Thanks, Mark.  What do you think of the HP PA chips?

I have always been impressed with the work of HP. Their major failing has
always been an adherence to proprietary systems. I have not looked intently
at the latest PA-RISC, but until it garners wide acceptance, it will remain
an interesting cpu relegated to a small market. The joint venture with
Intel is particularly interesting because it could bring the performance of
HP to the maintstream, as long as those idiots at Intel don't botch the
whole thing, as they did with their own i860 product (the i860 was probably
Intels greatest achievement in the past 10 years). And HP's VLIW concept
certaintly has some merit as the cpu architecture of the future, as compiler
technology develops.

> Just wondering how they stack up to the rest (I hear 
> they're also designed for multi-processor enivronments).

The current ones are competitive, but hold no particularly strong
advantage that I see over the other major processors.
     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     *           Mark Thompson                  (603) 424-1829    *
     *         Fusion Films, Inc.             [email-masked]  *
     * Director of Animation and Special FX                       *
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
--
[email-masked] (Mark Thompson) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]